Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Postmodern Homework: Jameson responce

Homework:
Postmodern style Nostalgia & Recycle – Jameson
“In a world in which stylistic innovation is no longer possible, all that is left is to imitate dead styles”
Jameson catalogs key features of postmodern culture, as self-referentiality, irony, pastiche, and parody.
Jameson refers to this cultural recycling as historicism – the random cannibalization of various past styles – erasing historical depth.


Initial thoughts as prosumers…
Everything we come across nowadays, be in on the TV, film, music videos, fashion, art and many more, may have been inspired/influenced from somewhere.
The things which Jameson refers to are ‘true’ in relation to my production work, as mine is not ‘innovation’ and I haven’t used newly thought of concepts.  To create my own music video, I took inspiration from existing music video styles and ideas, I was able to use these as a source of inspiration and, in a way, replication - such as, fashion, editing, effects, references.
It can be argued that things made during postmodernity are hardly possible to be innovative/new, but have to ‘imitate dead styles’. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that even the earliest media texts may not be based of originality. Every story or piece of information stems from somewhere, even from the earliest poems, Shakespeares “Romeo and Juliet”, is based of existing stories and experiences!
Arguments for and against this quote… yes in ways stylistic innovation is no longer possible, from my experience, it is really hard to come up with something completely new and original, because all of the styles and ways of producing my work came from memories from what I had previously seen. “Jameson refers to this cultural recycling as historicism…cannibalization of various past styles – erasing historical depth…. I understand and agree with Jamesons comment of ‘cultural recycling – historicism’ explanation, because media texts being recycled and reused again and in this generation; seen in many forms, we tend to constantly reuse existing methods, information, style and forms to create newer productions/media. Such as films you see today… I often get frustrated when I believe that in most films there’s no longer be any more original or ‘new’ material / story lines to be made, as films seem to take mixtures of existing storylines and put them together, or make exact replicas/slightly altered storylines to existing films!!
Scary movie, a typical postmodern example including parody and other conventions of postmodernism, but also a more specific example of this… using a multiple/collaboration of scary films and putting them together – to then recycle the material > use it to create something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment