Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Genre Homework

Nicholas Abercrombie (1996) suggests that 'the boundaries between genres are shifting and becoming more permeable' Abercrombie is concerned with modern television, which he suggests seems to be engaged in 'a steady dismantling of genre'
* This particular theory can be applied to the music video I have recently created for a mixed genre piece - 'Ellie Gouldings - Lights' (remix/dubstep). This particular music style can be put in to many different types of genre, and if I were to ask several people about how they would describe the genre, each answer would be different. This can be applied to what Abercrombie said about the 'boundaries between genres are shifting' and 'dismantling' of genre. The way my partner and I approached making this music video was a blur/mix of styles, from what we defined the genre as (e.g. Dance, Dubstep, Electro...)

No comments:

Post a Comment